Early Childhood Education
Establishing learning foundations for life.
Preschool and childcare center directors supervise and lead staffs, oversee daily activities, design curriculums, and prepare budgets. They are responsible for all aspects of their program. Some preschools and childcare centers are independently owned and operated. In these facilities, directors must follow the instructions and guidelines of the owner. Sometimes, directors own the facilities, so they decide how to operate them. Other preschools and childcare centers are part of a national chain or franchise. The director of a chain or franchise also must ensure that the facility meets its parent organization’s standards and regulations.
Early childhood education creates competence in state rules and regulations. A clean, safe, and healthy learning environment introduces food service and nutrition education. The program includes child abuse and neglect principles as well as child guidance, professionalism, and organizational skills. Those who complete secondary and post-secondary Early Childhood Professional Certificate (ECPC) are awarded 9 college credits at Miami Dade College in Florida.
- Supervise preschool teachers and childcare workers
- Hire and train new staff members
- Provide training and professional development opportunities for staff
- Establish policies and communicate them to staff and parents
- Develop educational programs and standards
- Ensure instructional excellence
- Assist staff in resolving conflicts between children
- Aid staff in communicating with parents
- Meet with parents and staff to discuss students’ progress
- Prepare budgets and allocate program funds
- Ensure facilities are maintained and cleaned according to state regulations
- Employment Outlook:
Employment of preschool and childcare center directors is projected to grow 7 percent from 2014 to 2024
The average wage for this career is $10.20 hourly. Average annual salary is from $21,210.
Location and Hours:
- The English Center (Certificate – 600 Hours)
- Miami Coral Park Adult Education Center (Certificate – 600 Hours)
- Miami Springs Adult Education Center (Certificate – 600 Hours)
- South Dade Technical College (Certificate – 600 Hours)
- Southwest Adult Education Center (Certificate – 600 Hours)