Patient Care Assistant
Provide basic patient care under direction of nursing staff.
This program offers a sequence of courses that provides coherent and rigorous content aligned with challenging academic standards and relevant technical knowledge and skills needed to prepare for further education and careers in the Health Science career cluster; provides technical skill proficiency, and includes competency-based applied learning that contributes to the academic knowledge, higher-order reasoning and problem-solving skills, work attitudes, general employability skills, technical skills, and occupation-specific skills, and knowledge of all aspects of Health Science career cluster.
This program is designed to prepare students for employment as cross trained nursing assistants (SOC 31-1014 Nursing Assistants). All others, Patient Care Assistants, Nursing Aides and Orderlies, or Home Health Aides. This program offers a broad foundation of knowledge and skills, expanding the traditional role of the nursing assistant, for both acute and long term care settings.
The program focuses on broad, transferable skills and stresses understanding and demonstration of the following elements of the health care industry; planning, management, finance, technical and production skills, underlying principles of technology, labor issues, community issues and health, safety, and environmental issues
Dental assistants can work in private dental offices, dental schools, or hospitals. There will be many opportunities for entry level positions, but some dentists prefer to hire experienced assistants, those who have completed a dental assisting program, or have met state requirements.
Patient Care Assistant
Home Health Aide
- Nursing Assistant
Location and Hours:
- American Adult Education Center (Certificate – 290 Hours)
- D.A. Dorsey Technical College (Certificate – 290 Hours)
- Hialeah Miami-Lakes Adult and Community Education Center (Certificate – 290 Hours)
- Lindsey Hopkins Technical College (Certificate – 290 Hours)
- Miami Coral Park Adult Education Center (Certificate – 290 Hours)
- North Miami Adult Education Center (Certificate – 290 Hours)
- South Dade Technical College (Certificate – 290 Hours)
- W.H Turner Technical Arts Adult Education Center (Certificate – 290 Hours)